Back to news


There is a problem with my solar panels; who should I contact?



Solar panels are a great way to increase the energy efficiency of your home. However, like any electrical installation, faults can occur. So, what can you do if there is a problem with your panels?

The first thing to do is to contact your installer.

Usually this is an electrician/electrical contractor, qualified to fit solar panels. Installer details should be displayed at the system inverter or in the system handover pack. If you cannot remember who your original installer was, and Action Renewables is your agent, you can contact us first and we will be able to tell you. 

If your solar photovoltaics (PV) system is outside of its workmanship warranty period, you can contact a different company to provide general maintenance if you wish. While your solar panels had to be originally installed by a certified Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS) installer, general maintenance can be performed by a suitably qualified electrician who can conduct the necessary checks and tests. 

What should I do if my installer is out of business? 

If you have a complaint regarding an installer who has gone out of business, you may be able to get help from the NI Trading Standards service, however it is likely that you will have to contact another active PV installer. The MCS website provides a list of the PV installers in NI who are still certified under this scheme (approximately 20 as of March 2019), however there is no requirement that you use an MCS certified installer for repairs or maintenance. If you do not use an MCS installer, ensure that you use a qualified electrician that has experience and training in PV systems. The National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting (NICEIC) also provides a search facility for approved electricians.

If the solar panels have become damaged, check the details of the panel warranty as these generally have 15-20 year cover. Warranty details should be contained in the handover pack left for your system. It may also be worth checking your home insurance to ascertain whether any larger repairs are covered under your existing policy. 

Interested in one of our services

Contact our team today.

Make Enquiry