Back to news

A family member who had solar panels has passed away – what should I do?



When someone passes away, there can be a lot of administration relating to property ownership and updating of personal information; solar panels also fall into this category. To help in the event of this situation, we have compiled a brief guide (below) on transferring ownership of a solar photovoltaics (PV) system (generating station).

Firstly, it’s important to know that the solar panels must remain at the current location. If they are removed or relocated, they will no longer be eligible for Renewables Obligation Certificates (ROCs). ROCs are issued to a ‘generating station’ rather than an individual. For the agent (e.g. Action Renewables) to claim further ROCs, the agent must continue to receive meter readings and payment details for the new owner.

The following steps should be followed to transfer the ownership of the system.

1. Notify Action Renewables

When the owner of a property has passed away, contact us to advise of the situation and provide the new contact details. We will send you the relevant forms to update our records and advise Ofgem on behalf of the owner.

2. Compile the appropriate documentation

Whether the property is being sold or passed to a spouse/other family member, we require documentation to transfer ownership:

  • The death certificate of the generating station owner
  • A solicitor’s letter, stating who the property will be transferred to (this may take some time in the event of a house sale)
  • A completed Action Renewables registration form, for the new owner, including contact details and bank account details. Even if the same joint bank account is being used, we still need a registration form with these details
  • The new owner will also complete an Agent Appointment Form to permit Action Renewables to continue to claim ROCs for the generating station

3. Record a meter reading on 31st March each year

During the transfer process it is important to remember that a ROC meter reading should be taken on the 31st March each year. This can be submitted by a family member, so long as it is from the correct generating station. Action Renewables can only claim ROCs and pay clients if it receives a meter reading.

We understand that a family bereavement is a difficult time and we aim to make the transfer process as simple as possible. If you need to notify us of a change of ownership or have any queries about the process above, please call us on 028 9072 7760 or email and we will guide you through the process.

Interested in one of our services

Contact our team today.

Make Enquiry