Previous Consultancy Projects
Project: North East Sustainable Energy Supply Chain Programme
Client: Larne Borough Council
Service Provided: A programme of support helping local SME’s plug into the opportunities offered in the sustainable energy sector. Sustainable energy represents significant investment opportunities that exist down through the supply chain to SME’s and sole traders. This programme is the bridge between SMEs and energy opportunities in renewable, oil and gas sectors.
- Identifying and implementing actions for the emerging sustainable energy sector.
- Organising meet the buyer events.
- Identifying businesses for the supply chain.
- Providing consultancy support to businesses.
- Preparing baseline data, capability profiles and action plans.
Project: Resource Efficiency Programme
Client: Cookstown District Council
Service Provided: The Resource Efficiency Programme aims to support micro/SMEs within the Cookstown District Council area whose energy, waste, water/effluent and raw materials costs are less than £30,000 per annum.
Consultancy expertise includes (but is not limited to) the following areas:
- Reducing waste and carbon emissions
- Identification of cleaner processing technologies
- Minimising product losses
- Improving energy efficiency
- Accessing more sustainable water resources
- Reviewing packaging requirement or use
- Environment or energy management systems
- Opportunities for renewable energy
- Equipment specification
- Identifying suitable businesses.
- Carrying out efficiency audits.
- Implementing resource efficiencies in businesses.
- Streamlining manufacturing processes.
- One to one mentoring.
- Event management.
- Business audits.
Project:Sustainable Development Technology Consultancy
Client:Invest Northern Ireland
Service Provided: Carrying out renewable energy consultancy for Invest NI companies as and when requested. Action Renewables provides consultancy support and feasibility studies for a range of technologies:
- Upgrades to efficient condensing boilers
- Biomass Boilers
- Wind Turbines
- Air Source and Ground Source Heat Pumps
- Solar PV
- Solar Thermal
- Combined Heat and Power
- Anaerobic Digestion
- Building Management Systems
Each consultancy report specifies:
- Background (project description)
- Project Brief (detailed understanding of work required- include scoping)
- Project Viability (assess need for intervention support)
- Work Completed (what was done, barriers, issues)
- Conclusion & Recommendation (outcomes)
- Action Plan
Project:A Study into Communities and Renewable Energy
Client: Department of Enterprise, Trade and Investment
Service Provided: The study looked at the relationship between communities and the development of renewable energy; and how communities can engage with developers and participate and /or benefit from renewable energy developments. The key output of the assignment was to produce a report to a steering group consisting representatives from DETI, DOE and DARD.
The overarching aims of the research project were to:
- Explore and better understand the existing relationships between communities and renewable energy developments in Northern Ireland.
- Determine how communities in Northern Ireland can best engage with renewable energy in order to generate benefit for local communities through ‘community benefits’ models in partnership with developers or through direct community ownership.
- Provide wider policy analysis and commentary on generating a supportive policy environment for positive community outcomes from renewables, how Northern Ireland is faring compared to other regions, and how community energy benefits may influence renewable energy generation targets
The brief was tackled in six key stages:
- Context and project setup
- Developing framework
- Populating framework
- Stakeholder events
- Analysis and interpretation
- Recommendations and guidance